Changing transmission fluid?

My tranny fluid is a little low and since I have no idea what type it
is, I figure I'm better off changing it than mixing in an unknown.
I've never changed the tranny fluid before.  Any gotchas to be aware
of?  Seems straight forward; clean the screen and use a new gasket and
filter.  What's the best way to clean the screen?  Based on previous
comments here going back a couple of year from Don Dulmage and Jim
Peavy and others, it sounds like Mobil synthetic is the way to go.

As always, thanks.

- Jim
Jim Altemose, Long Island, NY
'63 Polara 500 (Max Wedge)