To: <1962to1965mopars@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, August 06, 2008 2:21 PM
Subject: Newbe need help with cam slection

I'm going to put together a 318 for a dart
dual exhaust, dual plane intake, carter TQ
compression around 8.8
mostly stock, looking to wake the 318 not to race, or tow..

From the info I was able to gather these  cams were common.
recommendation for a 318 lift is .430 to .450
From what I can understand about cams, at this level
of cam the durations is not much of a factor, more lift = more power less torque. The trouble I have is there a way to tell what I might expect between the different cams listed. I'm not sure to trust the advert. and write ups on, they say the same with this level
of cams.

What can I expect from each of these cams?
Are these too close for the basic builder to notice?
Cost is about the same, rules out the budget aspect.

thanks
Steve

Crane Cams
Basic Operating RPM Range: 1,500-4,500
Intake Duration at 050 inch Lift: 204
Exhaust Duration at 050 inch Lift: 216
Duration at 050 inch Lift: 204 int./216 exh.
Advertised Intake Duration: 260
Advertised Exhaust Duration: 272
Advertised Duration: 260 int./272 exh.
Intake Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio: 0.427 in.
Exhaust Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio: 0.454 in.
Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio: 0.427 int./0.454 exh. lift
Lobe Separation (degrees): 112
Intake Valve Lash: 0.000 in.
Exhaust Valve Lash: 0.000 in.
Grind Number: H-260-2

Mopar 4452759
Advertised Duration 260/ 268, Lift .430/ .450, Mopar, Small Block, Kit
Advertised Duration
260 int./268 exh.
Advertised Exhaust Duration
268
Advertised Intake Duration
260
Basic Operating RPM Range
1,200-5,200
Duration at 050 inch Lift
221 int./228 exh.
Exhaust Duration at 050 inch Lift
228
Exhaust Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio
0.450 in.
Intake Duration at 050 inch Lift
221
Intake Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio
0.430 in.

Mopar 4452757
Basic Operating RPM Range: 1,000-5,000
Intake Duration at 050 inch Lift: 211
Exhaust Duration at 050 inch Lift: 218
Duration at 050 inch Lift: 211 int./218 exh.
Advertised Intake Duration: 248
Advertised Exhaust Duration: 256
Advertised Duration: 248 int./256 exh.
Intake Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio: 0.410 in.
Exhaust Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio: 0.425 in.
Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio: 0.410 int./0.425 exh. lift
Lobe Separation (degrees): 110