Re: hole in gast tank

Derek,
The first determination should be whether you want to
repair the tank for immediate use or whether you're
restoring it to sell it in the near future. A new tank
looks a lot better, but they are usually a couple of
hundred bucks. I have repaired quite a few tanks -
when I was younger & didn't have two pennies to rub
together - but it is a messy, dangerous job.

Nitrogen purging sounds fine, if you can access the
equipment. Otherwise; 1) drain tank
     2) fill with warm soap & water
     3) swish it around
     4) let it collect for half an hour, or so
     5) swish it around some more & dump it out
     6) Do this (3)three times
     7) Fill a fourth time with hole at top
     8) leave a small area between hole & liquid
        surface, sand around hole for clean metal
     9) If hole is small, weld it, if large, patch it

As long as the tank is in decent shape, I'd recommend
repairing it. Pay careful attention to the seam(s) and
inlet/outlet areas, as these are usually where the
leaks ocur. You can weld it with wire or gas, you can
even braze-weld it. If all of this is too much of a
hassle, depending on size & location of hole, you can
dry & sand area around hole & use "JB Weld", available
at most auto parts retailers. Most important: manually
sand it, don't use a grinder, you don't want any
sparks. I noticed that someone mentioned radiator
repair shops. If you pull the tank yourself, most rad
shops will repair gas tanks.
Hope this helps.
Mike

--- Derek Fried <FFParamederek@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hey all.  The gas tank in my 65 Sport Fury has a
> hole in it.  Its about 3/4 of the way up, so when I
> drove it before dropping it off for an extended stay
> at the body shop, I could only fill it about half
> way.  Its coming around the time for it to come out
> of the body shop now, and I need to fix the tank.
> So my questions are:
> 1) if you had this problem, did you fix or replace?
> 2) where can I find replacement fuel tanks without
> foraging through junk yards.
> Derek
> 1965 Sport Fury
> --
> removed]
>

> ----
> Please address private mail -- mail of interest to
> only one person -- directly to that person.  I.e.,
> send parts/car transactions and negotiations as well
> as other personal messages only to the intended
> recipient, not to the Clubhouse public address. This
> practice will protect your privacy, reduce the total
> volume of mail and fine tune the content signal to
> Mopar topic.  Thanks!

http://ca.toolbar.yahoo.com.

----

u/?bUrDWg.bSONJP.YXJjLjYy