gast tanks and sin

To repair a gas tank permanently. you clean the area thoughly , sand it to bright metal and coat it with plummers solder paste. Using an old soldering iron. the type you heat with a torch  and then use the latent heat. you solder over al the pin holes. it the hole is large use a thin piece of metal to patch. Steel will work but copper is god if you can get it. Treat it the same wahy. This method used by us old time meschanics removes fire from the equation. making the whole deal safer.  The smarter guys also run an exhaust hoe into the tank (with sending unit removed andlet a cars running exhaust flow trough while they are working. The exhaust lowers thefire hazard even more since it is already been burt. I let it run for about 5 minutes before doing anything. I do not ever bring fire to a gas tank . The old iron method works well and if you dont have one a god stought piece of iron sharpened to apoint will do.
As a mechanic I lived in constant fear of fire.  I nevertook any chances around fuel or gas tanks and yet did in the old day repair a lot of them. The solder will not rust out and if done well will be there long after the car is gone
And now for my confession.
Although I am retiredand sold everything a cople fo years back today i bought a milwaki vertical Mill model H. . It is an old piece but a fairly exotoc pice considering its age. It has a cutter with it suitable for cyl head milling as well as it is big enough for block milling. I never ran a machine like this before although I had a vert mill for years. The prirce was right and the guy said it is in working order. My wife is looking at me funny but old lads need toys I think.  They delivered it this morning.
Anyone worked o one fo these old mills?
What shall I make first?
Don
Author of