RE: NEW thread...Starting problems

I think Earl is on to something here. I'd run through
all the wiring and check for loose or dirty
connections. Check for corrosion at the ends, etc.
Maybe pull the wires at the starter also and clean
them up to make sure your getting a good connection.
Check the battery cable ends too.  Lyle

--- Gary <mopar413@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Sounds more like heat soak.  When it cools of it
> starts just fine.  Hot won't start.  Drags or turns
> real slow.
> ---- "Earl H. " <earlh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > Butch,
> >
> > Ok, it is a Mopar, which means that you first off
> check and clean every
> > ground associated with the starter. I do think
> however that you have
> > a bad solenoid. Try shorting it at the solenoid
> with a screw driver. If
> > that works, then you have found your issue.
> >
> > Earl
> >

> > Vehicle: 64 Sport Fury 383, A727 Torquflite, floor
> shift. Car has what looks
> > to be a very old, but not oem starter, to
> accommodate the headers on the
> > car.
> >
> > Symptoms: Although I had not had the car on my
> Battery Tender for several
> > weeks, it started right up. Took it to the closure
> of a 50(+) year old
> > drive-in here in town that's being torn down for a
> mall. Drove it from there
> > 4-5 miles to a restaurant, then back again to the
> post office. Started fine
> > everywhere. Left it in my driveway for an hour or
> so, then went to start it.
> > It wouldn't start, but the starter made a sound
> like an impact wrench, as if
> > the drive gear was trying to engage the starter,
> but did not have enough
> > juice to stay engaged. This was odd to me because
> the factory dash ammeter
> > showed it was charging as I drove it.
> >
> > I pushed the car into the garage, hooked it back
> up to my Battery Tender,
> > then thought that night before bed that I'd give
> it another try. I heard one
> > noise from the starter area, but the car started
> right up. "Problem solved"
> > I thought, "something wrong in the charging
> system", but the starter and
> > battery are okay.
> >
> > Today, I went to start the car and ......nothing.
> No clicks like a bad
> > selonoid, or anything, just the sound of silence.
> I tried it several times
> > in PARK and NEUTRAL.My battery tender showed the
> battery as fully charged
> > and I get over 12V when checking it post-to-post
> with my volt meter. There
> > are bright interior lights in the car, fan blower
> works, good headlights and
> > horn.
> >
> > Any advice or suggestions on where/how to
> troubleshoot this would be greatly
> > appreciated!! Thanks/ Butch/ Ferndale, WA
> >

> > ----
> > Please address private mail -- mail of interest to
> only one person --
> > directly to that person.  I.e., send parts/car
> transactions and negotiations
> > as well as other personal messages only to the
> intended recipient, not to
> > the Clubhouse public address. This practice will
> protect your privacy,
> > reduce the total volume of mail and fine tune the
> content signal to Mopar
> [...]

Be a better friend, newshound, and

----