RE: Intake question

Paul,

Now you have done it. This can be a bottomless pit involving complex
engine theory including CFM (computational fluid dynamics), cam theory,
all revolving around the physical limits of the parts you have available and

the limit on your Visa.

Remember, things change, and technology advances. Xram manifolds IMHO
were quite an advancement by Chrysler, but like a lot of evolution became
a dead branch in the tree of evolution. This technology has advanced to
the level of sheet metal manifolds now used by Pro Stock motors. That is not

to say that the Xram manifold does not work, or is not cool, but in the
realm of max performance, it has seen its days. Here in lies the rub. It
works
well with parts of that era, but putting an Xram on a new set of Indy heads
would not be the best overall application for that manifold.

My recommendation if you're going to build a motor, and you do not have
the engineering back ground or experience of building thousands of motors
over many year's (like Don) is to pick a proven combo that a know engine
builder has
proven works and use it, if it is in alignment with your intended usage.
Everyone gets in trouble when they try to out think the experts based on
a magazine article they just read...

I happen, as you know to love RPM manifold's. Based on my past usage, they
always have given me the best bang for the buck. Many recent articles have
backed this opinion I developed up with dyno facts. Remember, the true
runner
length is measured from the butterflies to the valve. We could get into raw
flow
vs velocity and burn up a good night of bench racing. For a street motor, I
will
take velocity over raw flow every time. This feed's into what I think you
want to
know and what is causing you some issues. In theory you're correct regarding

dual plane vs single plane. But technology advances have narrowed that gap.
The
RPM works almost as well as a Victor, and better when you take into
consideration
the over all curve for a street motor. Just like head flow, it is not always
the raw
flow that matters, but what is the flow rate under the curve that makes the
great
combo. Many times less flow on top, but more flow under the curve makes the
best motor.

Call Don and ask him to build you a motor. I know he claims to be retired,
but
he just might be glad to help a guy out.

I have most likely put more mud in the water than you liked, but my point is

don't over think this thing.

Earl

I read the "Crossram Chronicles" article that Gary added to the website.
 It talks about a runner length of 15" being the magic number to
scavenge the resonant pressure waves which result from the intake valve
opening and closing.  And that this length was tuned to an engine rpm of
5400. Giving the max wedge crossram manifold a distinct advantage over
the earlier long ram  manifold which was tuned to provide more torque
and power from rpm's in the low 2000's to @ 4800.

In reading general theory about intake manifolds it is stated that a
single plane manifold generally works better at higher rpm than a dual
plane which will give you more torque at lower rpm & better idle
quality.  Since a dual plane has longer runners this would seem to put
these two theories at odds with each other.

I don't think any of the commonly available street type intakes have
runner lengths anywhere near 15".  I'm thinking about The Holley Street
Dominator and the Edelbrock Performer RPM in particular.  But since the
Performer is a dual plane it should have the longer runners, making it a
better intake for low end torque and the Street Dominator a better top
end unit.  I am in the process of making some performance modifications
to my 440 so I'm trying to understand this a little better.

Can anyone clear this up for me, Earl, Don, anyone?

Paul L.
'63 Sport Fury
440/727
http://www.1962to1965mopar.ornocar.org/ml-lennemann63.html