RE: Floor Pan

I'm no body man by any means and I spent the last 2 days doing the
finish bondo work on the patch panels my buddy (a body man) welded in
for me. It IS very time consuming, but I watched every thing he did as
he was teaching me how to do it. The way I see this whole hobby is there
are still things I don't know how to do, but since this is not the last
car I will be doing, I want to learn every aspect of the restoration. I
have done EVERYTHING on my 64 Polara except for the front end
alignment.I realize not everyone is mechanically inclined, but if you're
going to restore old cars you have to decide early on if you can do the
work yourself or pay for it. When I was a teenager I couldn't afford to
have someone fix my cars, so I had to learn to do it myself. I have
spent the last 35 years accumulating tools, knowledge, and a great
garage to work in. I also thank God that I have those skills and
resources to do it, and a good wife to put up with it! Sorry for the
long post.

george smith wrote:

> Couldn't agree more! After taking apart window regs.
> out of my parts car,I realized a good body
> man,including painters,don't charge enough! I have
> neither the patience or expertise for that work. If
> you find someone good you trust,let him do his job for
> you.Once I saw my car,all the money I spent was worth
> it.
> --- Dean Miller <plypkup41@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

> > Don't take this the wrong way guys,I'm a painter in
> > body shop.But if it looks so easy why don't you do
> > it
> > your self?P.S. our labor rate is $46 an hour.
> > --- Paul Lennemann <pjlenn@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >

> > > Can't offer an opinion on your situation, I can
> > only
> > > relate mine.  I
> > > took mine to a shop to get an estimate on rust
> > > repair & paint.  To fix
> > > the rust in the dog leg of the front fender, the
> > > rear wheel arch, the
> > > lower 1/4's and a little on the rocker panels the
> > > quote was $9000.00!
> > > Including $2500.00 in materials, and that's with
> > me
> > > providing all of the
> > > repair panels and R&R'ing all of the stainless!
> > So
> > > maybe the escalation
> > > in prices in our cars has also led to an
> > escalation
> > > at the body shop.
> > > Or they just didn't want our jobs so they bid them
> > > high.
> > >
> > > Paul L.
> > > '63 Sport Fury
> > > 440/727
> > >

> http://www.1962to1965mopar.ornocar.org/ml-lennemann63.html

> > > floor pan on my car. I
> > > stopped by a body shop
> > > replace the pan and was
> > > of work. Does this seem

> > be
> > > cut out in less than
> > > hour, cut new pan and weld

> > $50/hr
> > > is $250 which seems
> > > that being as it's a
> > > technology to "get in and

> > BTW,
> > > the car has no carpet
> > > be removed.

> > > Paul L.
> > > '63 Sport Fury
> > > 440/727
> > >

> http://www.1962to1965mopar.ornocar.org/ml-lennemann63.html
> > >

> > > ----
> > > Please address private mail -- mail of interest to
> > > only one person -- directly to that person.  I.e.,
> > > send parts/car transactions and negotiations as
> > well
> > > as other personal messages only to the intended
> > > recipient, not to the Clubhouse public address.
> > This
> > > practice will protect your privacy, reduce the
> > total
> > > volume of mail and fine tune the content signal to
> > > Mopar topic.  Thanks!
> > >
> > > '62 to '65 Mopar Clubhouse Discussion Guidelines:
> > >
> > http://www.1962to1965mopar.ornocar.org/mletiq.html.

> [...]

Jeff Adams
64 Polara

----