Re: MCG's Bid Mopar Site

On 15 11/28/07, Lee Sumpter wrote:
> Anybody on this list ever check out the Bid Mopar site sponsered by
> Mopar Collectors guide? It's like Ebay, but for Mopar stuff only. It
> costs an extra 10 bucks on the magazine subscription to join. I
> thought it might be a good idea, but the site hasn't taken off yet
> like I thought it would.

I think its free to browse and buy, but costs money to sell.  I listed
a 1966 Coronet there,  starting bid was low and I never got so much as
email from anyone with questions or showing interest.  they lanched the
site last summer but its not taking off.  I think they are taking the
wrong approach, trying to take on eBay.  eBay is too good at what it
is and has too big of a potentional buyers base for car parts.

I think the one weakness ebay has is selling cars is very expensive for
the seller (parts are cheaper to sell) and the listing doesn't last very
long.  I think MGC could revamp their site to focus on this, if they
really think an auction site the way to go.   I think they'd be better
off in general to look at craigslist as a model and start listing all
their classified ads online with a nice search mechanism.   I get bored
and lost reading the classified sections on MGC.  I like it more so for
the featured cars and stories.

MGC probably sunk a lot of $$$ into that bidmopar site and wants to see if
it'll fly,..   I doubt it will though.

----