RE: Interior woes

Thanks David, good to hear some perseverence paid off.

Well I've had a response from Legendary re the red/white stitching. They
said "The thread your talking about has faded, bleached out."
Sounds like a bit of a cop-out? Or could they be right?

I remembered seeing our seats in Year One's online catalog recently so
looked on their site to see if the stitching color was visible. It
looked pretty red to me so I emailed them with a general query 'is your
stitching red cos our original seats have white' etc etc (didnt want to
say I'd just bought from Legendary), and they replied
"The stitching on the red portion of these seat covers is red. The
manufacturer is convinced this is correct and suggested you inspect the
stitching color on the inside, as they have seen original thread turn
white from age."
Not sure who 'the manufacturer' would be - could it be Legendary?

We cant see the stitching on the inside of our seats until we dismantle
them, but the stiching at the base of the rear seat back, and at the
rear of the rear seat base (ie where the back and base meet and where
the sun dont shine!) is still white. Not red and not faded.

I'd love them to be right so we could just get these covers fitted but
it'll bug me for eternity if we fit them knowing it's not right. My
brother isnt too bothered, saying that he likes the completely red bench
seat interiors often seen in the early cars - I do too but I also prefer
our seats with white stitching! The pitch of the stitching being too
close and irregular doesnt help the overall appearance, either.
It's tricky to know where to check. If I find a pic on the net of an
original interior and the covers have white stitching, Legendary would
say it has faded. Without knowing the history of that car's interior, I
can't argue.
The only one I think might challenge their thoery is the ex-Mike Zagata
MW Polara 500 (1 of the 5 originals) that we saw in NC when we went over
to see ours. This car had been fully restored and the interior looked as
good as new. From the only pic I have of the interior, the stitching
looks to be white. I doubt I'll ever get to know where those seats were
restored but I'll bet Mike Zagata made sure they were done right.

I'll see what Mr Legendary & Mr Yr1 say about our unfaded stitching...

Robert
England

----