Mopar VS. GTO

I posted about this subject a couple days ago, but seems like I got
booted by Topica (again), so I dont think it made it.
Anyway, here's why I've lost this argument for the last 35 years.
According to the Auto Magazines, and later, the automotive shows on TV,
and a couple of books about cars of the '60's I have somewhere,  the GTO
gets the credit because it was the first car to be a performance only
model.  The Sport Furys, Dodge 500s Cheby SS's and Ford 500's were TRIM
packages.  All were available with everything from 6 cylinders, to the
biggest V8's each company made.  Although the GTO was obviously built
from the LeMans, and the LeMans could be had with a big engine, the GTO
only came with a performance engine, in a basically light weight
stripped down body.  That didnt happen to Mopar till the GTX and RT.  My
thinking of the 300 being a performance only model was met by, "that was
a performance luxury car".  Anyway, the criteria seems to be, midsize,
lightweight, 2dr, performance engine only model.  Thats where the GTO
gets the credit.
So maybe our Mopars weren't the first muscle cars per say, but they may
very well have been the first cars with real muscle, when you look at
the 62 Maxies, the 64 Hemi's, and the 65 Street Hemi.  Not to mention
all the "regular" big blocks. Not even the drag racers from the early
60's will deny that.  Many brand X racers switched in the 62 to 64 era.
(Sox & Martin)
Someone mentioned the 383 Fury against the GTO being a good race.  It
was.  When I was 16 I got my first 63 Fury 383 auto.  A rival of mine
from a nearby town had a 64 GTO.  It WAS a good race, but in several
matchups, the closest he ever got was my back bumper.
That's just my 2 cents worth.  Your mileage may vary....

----