Re: troubleshoot tips please

I went through a similar experience when I started my
car after a 2 year restoration and didn't know that vandals
had poured water in the gas tank. Although I flushed the system
out a couple mechanics never cleaned the metal tube that
stuck out of the carb and attached to the rubber hose going to
the filter. Several times the car stalled afterward when tiny pieces
of rust broke free and got passed the float valve and jammed in the main jet...Bottom line, every passageway from tank to card and even passageways in the carb have to have all rust residue removed !

Dennis V
San Diego

neal zimmerman wrote:

yeah i think the guy started it up with  the 13 year old gas in the
tank.  I wouldnt have done it but he had already done it by the time i
got there.  I have already started working on dropping the tank and
starting there and working my way forward( flushing the fuel line with
lacquer thinner, new fuel filter).. then i will probably just rebuild
the carb
   BTW , I know its off topic but my local mopar buddy Aaron  called
up last nite and i said " why dont u come over and see my new beater"
he liked the car so much he was cussing me up one side and down the
other.  It really is an amazing car in many ways,  its all so original
u cant believe it, even down to the factory spare in the trunk and the
factory gas cap. all of the engine compartment has never been tampered
with, all the little clips , carb tags , everything still in place.one
small rip in the drivers seat.radio still works and the rear speaker
fader even.
 that what u get when u buy a car from the original owner i guess, a
funny little dutch man out in the high  desert in eastern oregon, he
bought it new in 1971.  Could barely understand him thru the dutch
accent.
 the downside to all that is i really want to rip it up and make a
righteous street  machine out of it, but when its all so orignal like
that, its hard to tear it apart.
   problems, problems
  neal zimmerman, eugene oregon