RE: 64 Plymouth Sport Fury Brake lines

Hey there, WA,

There isn't a proportioning valve on a single reservoir, 4-drum system
(at least that I have seen), but there is a distribution block.

Follow the brake line down from the master to the frame.  It will be
bolted to the frame rail.  Disconnect the rear line from the
distribution block and follow the problem from there.

My two cents is that your front-to-rear line is pinched, but let us
know, please.

Regards,

Jim

W.A.Edison wrote:

> I'm restoring a 1964 Plymouth Sport Fury, manual brakes, single master
> cylinder, stock 10" drums all around. When I pulled the rear drums to
> check
> the brakes, could not get brake fluid to either side using normal
> bleeding
> procedures. I unhooked the rear brake lines from the wheel cylinders,
> asked
> my bride to stand on the brake pedal, still no brake fluid to either
> side,
> so it's not the wheel cylinders. I took off the rear brake lines at the
> distribution valve on the rear axle, no fluid there under pressure
> either.
>
> I went to the other end of the system, both front lines bled normally.
>
> Just a question before I spend the time squeezing my big body under the
> car
> clearing or replacing the brake lines to the back: is there a
> porportioning
> valve on a stock system like this? I don't find any mention of it in the
> service manual, but way back when in the 60s when disc brakes were
> coming on
> line, I remember something about having to reset the porportioning valve
> after a leak. Could that be my problem, or is there no porportioning
> valve
> on the 64 drum brake setups?
>
> Thanks for any help offered. I would sure like to get this car off the
> jack
> stands and onto the street for awhile this summer. Brakes would be a
> help!
>
> /Butch/ Ferndale, WA

Jim Jablonski
Royal Oak, Michigan