Testing a Fan Clutch

I've always wondered...how exactly do you test a fan clutch to tell if
it's bad or not? Should it spin freely when cold? Have effort? I want
to swap in one of my extra 7-blade units into my Coronet for the
summer driving and need to know whether I'll have to goto Advance and
spend $55 on one or not.

Thanks

Bill M
65 Coronet 500 'vert