Re: 1964 Fender Tags for Los Angeles built cars

On 51 04/27/07, Gary H. wrote:
> Sounds like a good project.
> Remind me (all) what the vin code number / placement is for a L.A. built
> 1964?

5 in the 4th position on the VIN.  For Lynch Rd (1 in the 4th pos.) and
Hamtramck (2) AKA "Dodge Main"  the decoding of FTs is a somewhat more
well known.  Galen's book documents these two assembly plants FTs but
even leaves some of the codes as unknown or having unknown meanings.
For the other B-body & A-body plants: Los Angeles (5), Newark (6),
and St. Louis (7) the "rosetta stone" of code locations on FTs is
largely unknown and certainly undocumented for public access.
this goes double for Jefferson & Belvidere plants...
Even GG is unsure of the non-Detriot plant codes, 2 years ago my friend
approached him about documenting a Newark built '62 SF 361 car, and he
said he knew little about those cars.   not to fault him or anything,
not everyone can know everything about old cars, its certainly a process
that takes time.  most surviving 62-65 mopars are Lynch Rd and Hamtramck
cars to the tune of 50%.

Since LA cars mostly stayed on the west coast, I never come across them
over here.   believe it or not, I actually try to hit ebay a few times a
month hoping to catalog some non-Detriot FTs from some ebay seller
that has photographed an FT.

----