Re: Paint Job Question? - kind of long reply..

Re: Paint Job Question? - kind of long reply..

Tom,
I was in your spot and for me it boiled down to this.  "Do It Right The First Time."
When I bought my car it arrived in primer and some body work done.   I thought "this will be easy".  Huh, after digging into to it, as others have mentioned, you'll find more then you thought.

I went to work with scraping and grinding and sanding...hours, hours, hours... as parts came off the car, I restored them or got new pieces for when they go back on the car.  Engine, drive train, etc...,out, but not rebuilt yet.  That happens this winter.  The dash is out and all brackets have been cleaned painted.  Whiper motor and arms, E- brake, steering colum brackets, etc...  I have all my trim and 90% of it is down.  I have to get a roof rail piece fixed.  I went with the Fiber Glass front bumper as the one that came with the car had met a wall or post.

At this point the car is a shell, with a completed front end rebuild which was K frame painted with a front end rebuild kit and drum to disk (all new) upgrade completed and back on car.

After all this effort, I just couldn't bring myself to say the car was ready for paint without many more hours of effort and even then, I knew that it would NOT be properly prepped for a professional paint job.  This is NOT going to be a show car per say.  It will see local cruise ins and such, but it is being built to roar the 1/4 mile.  That said, I still want a paint job to last 20-30 or even forty years, like our originals.

Basically, I don't want to have to paint it again.  I hate doing things twice because of not  "Do It Right The First Time."

So I'm getting it media blasted because it is the best way to prep the car.  Because of all the work I have done, this will only cost me $3 - 400.  That's well worth the money for me to get a proper paint job.
After 6-7 years, this is scheduled for this July, so I am getting anxious.

It's been a long road to this point and I love the car so much that it deserves the best effort I can give it.

Sorry for my long winded reply.

Christopher

'64 Dodge 440 2 Dr. Hard Top
'87 Dodge Ramcharger
'00 Merc Berz C230 Kompressor 16.73 1/4 - (Hey, It's DaimlerChrysler)

From: Tom Duross <tduross1@xxxxxxxxxxx>

----