RE: Transmission cables

Here it is from the FSM:  To install the cable have an assistant engage
and hold the R button and hold it firmly engaged until the cable
operation is completed.
Back the adjustment wheel off on the cable housing (counter clockwise)
until two or three threads are showing on the guide behind the wheel.
Lubricate the cable housing with transmission fluid, insert the cable in
the transmission case, push inward on the cable making sure the lock
spring engages the cable.
Adjust the control cable as outlined in "Maintenance, Adjustments and
Tests" Paragraph 9.

Paragraph 9 states the following:  With the adjustment wheel backed off
as instructed above.  And an assistant still holding the R button.  Hold
the control cable guide centered in the hole of the transmission case
and apply only enough inward force (approx. two pounds)to bottom the
assembly at the reverse detent.  While holding the cable bottomed,
rotate the adjustment wheel clockwise until it just contacts the case
sqaurely.
Turn the wheel just enough to make the next adjustment hole in the wheel
lineup with the screw hole in the case.
Counting this hole as number one, continue turning the wheel clockwise
until the fifth hole lines up with the screw hole in the case.
Install the lock screw and tighten.  Buy your assistant a cold beverage.

Paul L.
Plyguy
'63 Sport Fury
440/727
http://www.1962to1965mopar.ornocar.org/ml-lennemann63.html

David Walker wrote:

> I've forgotten how selector cable assembly installs into the 727 in my
> '65 Chrysler.  The available motors manuals don't provide any concise
> instructions or illustrations, and the spring looks awful.  I could craw
> under my '65 letter car and pull that little pan off to see how it's
> assembled, but nothing would be better than a set of instructions and/or
> illustrations.  Help?

----

bSONJP.