Drag race results

Well I finally made it to the 1/8th mile drags. It was very educational!

As some of you may recall, before my engine/trans rebuild I made 4 passes with my poorly running stock set-up and the best was 12:20 @ 56mph (about 19.15 in the 1/4)

Here is what came about tonight:

Air temp in the low/mid  50's - Night racing under the lights

First run - Started in "D" with not much engine rpm (about 1800) against the converter
               and I avoided the water box with no burn out

                60' = 2.413
                330' = 6.91
                1/8 = 10.75  (about 16.87 in the 1/4)
                mph = 64.08

Second run - Started in "1"  with probably about 2500rpm against the converter and I had
                    gone thru the water box with a burn out. The tires fried and I inadvertently hit
                    2nd way too soon.

                    60' = 3.047
                    330 = 7.883
                    1/8 = 11.75  (about 18.45 in the 1/4)
                    mph = 63.37

Third run - Started in "2" with 3000rpm against the converter and I avoided the water box.
               The tires smoked pretty bad and I hit 2nd too soon again. It felt almost like I
               slowed down when it hit second. I was racing a 2000 'Stang and had him beat
               till that point.

               60' = 2.735
               330 = 7.648
               1/8 = 11.579  (about 18.18 in the 1/4)
               mph = 62.75

Fourth run - Started in "1" with about 1800rpm against the converter. I avoided the water
                  box again. I tried to watch the tach better this time and delayed the first shift
                  until I got up to about 5300rpm. I was only 100' or so from the finish when I hit
                  second gear

                  60' = 2.455
                  330 = 6.905
                  1/8 = 10.621  (about 16.67 in the 1/4)
                   mph = 65.38
 OK, this wasn't a stellar performance but it was a learning experience. I know I really need a 3:91 rear end! I'm only at about 3600/3800rpm in second gear at the lights.

I need to be able to see my tach. It's too low, too small and too dark at night! I had a terrible time trying to see the tree and the tach at the same time.

Also I need to work out the timing better (it diesel'd badly), get better gas probably, work on the carbs and get the rpm's up where they want to be.

Heck, it's a start and I had fun. Paul Lenneman was along too and took some pictures. I hope they come out OK and I'll send some off.

Rich Kinsley '64 polara 4 door 318 poly w/goodies

----

bSONJP.