Re: instrument cluster lights?

On 11/10/05, Gary H. <62to65mopar@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I assumed the rheostat was ruled out because I tried three different
> headlight switches. In '62 the fader/rheostat is part of the switch. But
> all 3 headlight switches are old and could be bad, I guess.

I don't know what the pinouts are off the top of my head (it'll be in
the FSM), I'd imagine you could check the switches out with an el
cheapo volt/ohm meter.  Turn the switch on and put the probes on the
terminals for power-in and instrument cluster lighting out.  Rotate
the dimmer knob and you should see that the resistance (ohms) changes,
and goes to 0 or near 0 when you turn it all the way so it clicks into
the "on" position.

And if they're not working right because the contacts and windings for
the rheostat part are corroded, it can probably be cleaned up with
some fine sandpaper.

-- Tony  brummett@xxxxxxxxx
'64 Dodge 440
'65 Dart GT