Re: unleaded or premium?

[AD removed for archives]
New Apple® iPod® nano. As Thin as a No. 2 Pencil. Stores up to 3
Days of Songs! Get it Here FREE*!
caad3PYbOyW3Na/Superb Rewards

The following is partly magazine articles lore, and my experience with my
wife's 2001 V-6 Eclipse, which is a "91 octane" car.

The newer computer-controlled cars will normally run fine on 87, as long as
you are not towing, climbing mountains in hot weather, "on it" a lot, etc.
Wife is a slow driver, she runs 87 a lot right now in SoCal, no problems.  What
will happen is you will lose horsepower, according to the rice-rocket mags I
read (because I have an SRT-4 for a daily driver).  I'm not going to put less
than 91 in the SRT-4, it's too much fun to drive, & not that much more money to
run the 91.

Those who complain to me at work about gas prices, because I am "the car guy"
are usually holding a cup of Starbuck's or Red Bull, and I just ask them how
much a gallon is that swill...

The "cleaner" running is a canard that has been promoted by the oil
corporations to sucker owners who have cars DESIGNED for 87 to pay 20 cents more a
gallon for 91.  Running 91 in a car whose computer system can't take advantage of
the 4 additional octane points can actually make it slower.   Octane's
function is to slow down the rate of the mixture's burn, it will not burn "cleaner".

If I'm wrong, I'll be glad to learn, but many mag articlers have said all
these things.

Another thing of gasoline interest was Peter Egan's recent motorcycle
magazine column wherein he sat at a small town cafe and saw one gas tanker truck go
in sequence to multiple, different brand gas stations, filling their tanks!