From: "Earl Helm" <earlh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <1962to1965mopars@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, June 21, 2005 1:28 PM
Subject: RE: Update: Max Wedge vs Hemi, Which is Faster?

[AD removed for archives]
FREE Zoobooks Elephants ISSUE and tiger POSTER!
Is your child reading? Zoobooks is guaranteed to improve
your child's reading skills. Click below to sign up now!
caadCUzbPQykMa/Zoobooks

This always boils down to one issue. It is all about weight vs. horsepower.
The car that weights less and makes the same horsepower as a heavier car,
will go faster. The Hemi is capable of making more horsepower than a wedge
head engine if the cubic inches are the same. It will cost you more to build
hemi.

The horsepower race, killed heads up racing, because it always boils down to
cubic dollars, not cubic inches. Go to a SS/AA race, and almost every car
will
be an A body with an Hemi. Not many other combos can compete. That is why
we have bracket and index class racing today. If this type of racing did not
evolve,
then drag racing would be all but dead, because the only guys that could
compete
would be big bucks type of people. These people are out there today racing
in all
the classes. We have Super Comp cars capable of running 200MPH on a 8.90
Most Super Comp cars run in the 170MPH area, but some guys just have to
spend
the big bucks and do the big MPH. What sense does it make? None that I can
figure.
Is a 200 MPH SC car better than a 170 MPH car? NO! The usual rule is, the
faster you
go the harder it is to become consistent. In my mind that breaking point is
the low
10 to high 9 second range for a door car. With dragsters, that is why the
was established. You could build a combo that can be deadly without the
horsepower race.
That is why we have the Pro classes, i.e. Pro Stock. If you want to spend a
grip of
cash, go Pro Stock racing, you WILL be buying some very expensive parts on a

regular basis.

Running an Blown Alcohol car, you do a hell of a lot of work for very little
track time.
Running a Super Comp car, you get a lot of track time but no wow factor like
a SS/AA
car. This is why I am building a Duster bracket car. I can have my beloved
Mopar, and
some brand identification and not work my butt off. I can have fun beating
my Ford and
Chevy guys, while drinking diet Pepsi's between rounds. When it is all said
and done,
it has to be about fun, and some ingenuity. I would rather put together a
chepo 451
per Don, in a old Cordoba and have guys shaking their head when you beat
them, than
working my butt off on the Alcohol car.

What is the moral of the story? Enjoy what you have, and what you have to
work with
and do the best you can. Just do it baby and have fun while your at it.

Sorry, I will get off the soap box and go back to my hole in the wall.

For Sale, One Blown Alcohol Dragster......(With a Hemi)

Earl

Hi All,

Ok, the wisdom of the list has come thru again.  The hemi motor was a
"street" motor whereas the Max Wedge was a full race.  So I'm not comparing
apples to apples.

So to put them on the same playing field, which would be faster a 64 Max
Wedge B-Body or a WO or 68 Super Stock Hemi with similar gearing, weight,
etc.  Thus comparing Race to Race.

Or if you could have your dream RACE engine, would it be a hemi or a Max
Wedge and Why?  (tech discussion is
invited)

tomcat

http://mail.yahoo.com

[AD removed for archives]
The Patented Natural Weight Loss Product Is Now Available
Miracleburn® is the only product with Hoodia & Advantra-Z
Get a Free 7-Day Sample plus a Free Promotional Gift Card
caadCUVbPQykMf/Urban Nutrition

----
topic.  Thanks!

[AD removed for archives]
The Patented Natural Weight Loss Product Is Now Available
Miracleburn® is the only product with Hoodia & Advantra-Z
Get a Free 7-Day Sample plus a Free Promotional Gift Card
caadCUVbOyW3Nf/Urban Nutrition

----

bOyW3N.