Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2005 08:14:15 -0400
From: "Don Dulmage" <big-d@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Sprag

The sprag or overrunnung clutch is used only in first gear, drive position. It assists in first gear first position, It would only function if the low reverse band band slipped. It gives the planatary gear assembly something to push against in obtain Low gear. . It has no other function.
it affects no other gear prosition except for the fact when the trans has popped it there is usually mechanical damage. If the low /reverse band was strong enough to hold (and it isnt) one could eliminate it i think with a proper manual valve body. but the band is not up to the task of holding on. Don
Author of
Return to Deutschland (True Adventure)
Old Reliable (Mopar)
http://stores.ebay.ca/Don-Dulmage-Enterprises

List

I have not the expertise or education to dispute many things.

Many of my lessons have been painful and involve fire, noise and "what the heck was i thinking".

I do know that I thought I got a heck of a deal on a 64 dart for $70.00 that was in pretty nice shape.

It would not shift into high gear....in my mind i thought no big deal...high gear clutch pack...

When i pulled the tranny apart the high gear clutch pak still had the writing one could read .
Part numbers, manufactures' logos.....printing that said "this is not the problem."

Further disassembly discovered a blueish over running clutch area (sprag) that seemed to show the case was
not usable.

The only problem I found in the transmission was the damage at the over-running clutch.

No high gear...problem must have been something else.

My 727 going KA BLOOEY in the traps can be explained by an over-running clutch failure that allows transmission
pieces to overspeed....but if the over running clutch is only used in low gear i guess something else caused it.

The Cheeta valve body caution of burnouts not in low gear because you do not want the driveshaft rpm to exceed the
input rpm when in low gear has something to do with the over-running clutch....so i don't know where this falls in the scheme of things.....

So ..i guess if someone would take all those roller bearing things out of the sprag area and then see how she drives,
we will have a definative answer..

I know my 64 dart had no high gear and the only problem was the sprag.

And my charger will be running an a-833 so that will not happen again either.....

rob in phx

[AD removed for archives]
Need a new washer and dryer set? You could get one free!
caadzTWbOyW3Nf/ProductTestPanel

----

bOyW3N.