Re: mopar perfomance camshaft P4120243 for a Slant Six??

Re: mopar perfomance camshaft P4120243 for a Slant Six??

[AD removed for archives]
Need a Laptop? Get a Sony Vaio Laptop Free!
caac8usa/ProductTestPanel

On 22 02/07/05, Menko Johnson wrote:
> I had been looking at the mopar performance camshaft P4120243 which is
> supposed to have 244 duration and .436" of lift.  I'm not sure this is
> that much better than stock.  It is however a little tamer than the
> isky or comp cams 252.  Can anyone help me out here with experience
> and recommendations?

About 4 years ago, I did some work on the 170cid slant six that powers
my daily driver 64 Dart.  Like you, I was on a tight budget so I focused
my dollars on some machine shop time to bump the compression, and
on the replacement of the factory donk-stick camshaft.  the head was
milled so that compression  was raised to about 9:1, and the 244 dur. MP cam.
was installed  (I stayed with the original 1bbl carb. & points ignition).
With a 3.23 rear and a regular A-833,  the car makes good power,  gets
decent mpg's, and is very streetable.  it torques its best between
2000rpm-3000rpm.

The MP 244 dur. cam has a similar profile to the 1971-1977 stock cam
(PN 3512639 244 deg. dur., 26 deg.  overlap, lift of .406" Int. lift
.414" Ex. lift) expect the stock cam has less lift and is retarded
several degrees.  Personally, I love the P4120243 grind.  It is very
streetable, and works well with a 1bbl.  the 170 revs fast and revs high.

at the time that I bought the cam, the supply of this cam was drying
up.  If I built another street slant six, if I couldn't find the
MP cam, I'd call a cam manufacturer and get 'em to grind a similar
profile camshaft.  Do yourself and your Lancer a big favor and bump
the compression by milling the head!!  after that, look at getting a
3.23 if you've got a 2.94, and consider rounding up some kind of 4spd
somewhere down the line.

Doug

[AD removed for archives]
We have the 42 Inch Plasma TV you've been looking for!!  Sony or
Panasonic 42 Inch Plasma Wide Screen TV's. Put one up on your
wall today!  Click Below
caac8uBf/ExclusiveRewards

----

http:///u/?.