Re: 1964 Plymouth Fury-Era MOPAR Memory Flashback

Re: 1964 Plymouth Fury-Era MOPAR Memory Flashback

This post by Michael brought back 'a Real Memory' from late 63 when I was a Sophomore at Syracuse University.  On occasion when my Dad was on TDY as a Project Director for the DOD/ USAF stationed at Griffiss AFB in Rome; he would allow me to take/ bring our 61 Dodge Polara (361 4 brrl, Torqueflite) 4dr hdtp (Huge rear window) for a few days.

I have to give a little important background: My father was Army Air Corp Pilot & Mechanic '26-'29; then opened an Automotive Repair Garage in the Bronx and also went to NY Electrical School becoming a Radio Engineer as well as an experienced Mechanic.

 After WW2 he bought and we went to Detroit/ Windsor to pick it up- a 48 Dodge Custom which most of you know was the 126" wheelbase New Yorker Body with a Dodge Grille & Dash.& the 3rd brakelight. Get-A-Way 6 with Fluid Drive.

I actually helped adjust  the valves when I was 5. Sat on the Big Fender with wrench and Dad would say 'Turn it Quick'.

In '56 he ordered a Coronet with the 315 Hemi 4brrl, dual exhaust,  Pushbutton Powerflite & we put on the dual Fin Antennas. Listened to all the 50000Watt stations on road trips to NYC monthly. I learned to drive on that car & learned to do V8 Tune Ups.

Now since I earned my driver's license, Dad was real clear I was NOT going to be Drag racing my buddies in their parents Buicks, Olds & Pontiacs. In 61 the Dodge had the Torqueflite pushbutton so I could keep it in 1st & 2nd till I wanted to shift. You all know that!!!

We went to the Cicero Drag Strip and Watkins Glen Races periodically.  Now the 361 4 brrl was 'classed' with the Plymouth Golden Commandos & once I beat a 59 Sport Fury hdtp in the 1/4 mile. Maybe the driver had a bad day.

So as we know the 62's- 64's were very different cars than the Forward Look era Mopars.

Our 61 had a higher driver's seat back design & with the Rolled & pleated interior, the Drivers seat was like a bucket seat built into the Bench Seat frame.

We really liked the Polara 500 version of the 62 Dodge as the Bucket Seats had the same vertical pleats design as our 61.

But the 62 & 63 Plymouths were not our favorite designs.

So here I am one day at the Dorms, late 1963 and the 'new 64 Plymouths with the new 2dr roof design came out in Advertisements. The rear glass very similar to the rear glass in our 61 4dr hdtp. But  it was a 2dr.  And then the new Advertisement showed off the New Front Fender Qtr Panels & Grilles with the 'Finally' - a Really Classy new Sculpture.

I was really impressed by those new styling attributes.

So the 64 Plymouth Fury & the Revised 64 Dodge Front End/Grilles immediately set a ' MoPAR Impression' in my Mind.

Michael -Enjoy that 64!

Sherman D Taffel
Columbia MD & Goldvein VA
MOPARs my 1st Automotive 'LUVs'.

56 Coronet 270 Polyhead
61 /6 Lancer Wagon,
63Dart /6 Convert,
63 Imperial Crown,
65 a100 /6 - 5 window
89 Dodge Daytona 2.2 Turbo Shelby,
96 Caravan 3.8 ES Touring,
03 Hemi 5.7 Dodge RAM Laramie 4x4;
05 PT 2.4 Turbo Dream Cruiser 4 Convert,
'15 Challenger Pentastar.

Triumph TR4, Jaguar V12s, *Jensen Interceptor 440 convert
Jensen GTs ( Lotus 907s)
Other Americans