From: "Douglas Sutherland" <pluckedchickens@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <1962to1965mopars@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, February 01, 2005 1:49 PM
Subject: "Over-Assisted" Power Steering

I own a '64 Sport Fury with the infamous "over-assisted" power steering
option. I really don't know how much is the "over-assisted" and how much of
it is wear and tear on an old car.  Because I have only driven my car -- I
have nothing to compare it to.

It seems I can turn the steering wheel 1/4 turn before it affects the tires!
  Is that normal?  While driving I can wiggle the wheel between the 11
o'clock and 1 o'clock position without really affecting the car.  What parts
do I need to rebuild my power steering?  Will this fix the problem or will
the steering still be pretty sloppy compared to today's cars?

Going down another path, how difficult is it to convert my car over to
manual steering?  Cost?  Is it better/cheaper than converting to the the
Firm Feel System (police car system) I have seen advertised?  How stiff is
the manual steering on early '60's Mopars?  Is parallel parking a pain in
the butt?

Hope you can help.

Thanks!

[AD removed for archives]
Like music?  Get a CD player on us. Click here.
caac8ucf/PermissionData

----

http:///u/?.