Amen

[AD removed for archives]
Like music?  Get a CD player on us. Click here.
caac2NUa/PermissionData

Right on about Racer Brown cams . Despite all the hype by other companies , despite all the advertising, for down and dirty RAW UNRESTRAINED  power you will be very very hard pressed even today to find better. The ST-H-42 Hydraulic for the BBMopar I would say has absolutely no peers.It is downrightr BRUTAL!!!!!!!!. Only problem I ever had was I almost got into a fight at Cicero (ESTA SAFTEY PARK) with a Chevy racer who insisted we were running a roller cam when in fact we had this hydraulic under the hood of the 74 Charger. Even the physical appearance of the cam wil tell you you have something very very different from the usual "adapted from Chevy crap" they try to sell us.
That cam and the STX-20 specifically match the requirements of an ported Iron headed serious Mopar engine better than any others we have ran and we have run some 23 cams in these type engines at various times including some rollers and the old mini express MP.mushroom tappet.etc. The racer brown was faster , quicker, easier on the valve train and springs than any other. We did have a Lunati Cheater Stocker (426 Max Wedge) that could match the Perfomance but it was definately much harder on springs.
Most cams for these engines have too little duration and too much lift. Ideally we want no more than .540" lift but need lots of duration. (253 for Hydraulics @.050" and 267 @ 050" for solids (Solids need approx 14 more degrees duration to achieve similar RPM)
Duration is the key factor in RPM as it is the TIME element. The longer you hold open the valve the more air/fuel comes in and the higher the RPM for peak torque (and HP) The lift is limited by the head design. Above the above,(.540") many heads, even heavily reworked ones, give up their gains and flow falls rapidly. You can port a head so it will flow to .600 lift without severe turbulance but the end flow figure will still me no more than the style of porting produced that limits flow to 540" All you gain in this case is the chance to buy more expensive valve springs. Many many BB mopars would actually run faster on cams in the .540 lift area unless they have aftermarket heads.
Sorry, Dont get me started. This is however one of the real tricks to making these moderately priced engines really run. When  racer brown designed his Mopar cams he really understood these engines in a way few others have. I am sure he put the same love and devotion into his Hemi grinds.
Sorry i got so carried away. I will go back in my cave now.
Don
Author of
Return to Deutschland (True Adventure)
Old Reliable (Mopar)
http://stores.ebay.ca/Don-Dulmage-Enterprises

[AD removed for archives]
Show your pride with a free* USA T-shirt.  Click here to confirm
your address.
caac2N5f/PermissionData

----

http:///u/?.