A dangerous mistake with Heat in Garage

I have propane heat in my garage while working on my 65 Dodge I  use a reddy
Heater hooked to a 100 pound bottle I have never had any problems  till I ran
out & just put one of those 20 lb exchange tanks WOW the fumes  where
terrilble they made  nose feel like I got to close to  bleach I had to get out quick
does any one know what happen I got  the 100 pound refilled the fumes are
almost gone I thought propane was  propane

  S/ST1633
  Wayne