trusting my machinist ( long post)

[AD removed for archives]
Free Thanksgiving recipes for you
caacQ4Qb7yoMza/PermissionData

    So wednesday i go to my  old machinist here in town, Grant Springer,
    who built an awesomne 340 for me twenty tears ago. Had no complaints
    about that motor, ran like a dream.
    He is not a production shop. He does  high performance from street
    cars to boats to drag and circle track.He has a good local
    reputation and has done a lot of racing.
   Hes also good about talking u into using restraint when building a
   street motor rather than the biggest thing u can find: Imagine my
   dissappointment when twenty years ago when i was a dumb kid with a
   swap meet tunnel ram that i insisted on using on the 340 and he set
   it up with two 400 Carter AFBs, instead of twin 850 Holley double
   pumpers. (I thought I would shoot him but u know that setup ran great
   and trouble free)
  Hes been at it for probably 35 years and a nice easy to talk to guy
  which is a big benefit i think, to be able to easily talk to somebody
  when u are making critical decisions and spennding  big cash.
   So heres my dilemma: MY PRIDE; should i just  tell him what i want
   and trust him and let him make the choices on what should be done as
   far as machining and parts, or should I try to figure it out myself,
   cobbling together a parts list from 29 different issues of Mopar
   Action.I have never built a blown motor, hes built lots, and knows a
   lot about blowers and fuel injection.
   We sat down and he made a rough price list for me that came up to
   1300 dollars, for machine work- tank, Flux, freeze plugs, cam
   bearings, boring, line hone, squaring and decking block,o-ringing
   block , turning the crank and reconditioning the rods ,balancing  and
   a  girdle he designed for the 440 to strengthen the bottom end.( 325
   right there but as cheap as those Pro-gram  caps).
   What do u guys think about his prices and the dillema of trusting him
   on the critical  decisions..
    Anybody know of him and have opinions about his work...
    Twenty years ago i handed the reins over to him because i didnt want
    to waste money and parts and he came thru for me,  should i just do
    that again?
    Sorry for the verbosity!
    Neal ZImmerman, Eugene Oregon

[AD removed for archives]
Stock car lovers - get a FREE gift here!
caacSnKb7yoMzf/PermissionData

----

b7yoMz.