RE: Help! How to turn stuck motor

[AD removed for archives]
Are you serious about buying a NEW car or truck soon?
Research before stepping on the car lot and save THOUSANDS!
Get NO OBLIGATION price quotes from car dealers in your area.
caacKOVb7yoMza/LeadClick

Hi Wade,

There is nothing stopping you from hooking the starter back up but I
would not do that.

If the engine is seized so tight that you have to beat on it and use a
long pipe or johnson bar to get the flex plate bolts, I would not risk
ruining the starter.

When the engine spins freely, by all means use the starter if you feel
it necessary.  Are you hoping to get the engine free and then start it
up?

If you want to start the engine you must bolt the flex plate back onto
the torque converter.  The starter turns the ring gear on the torque
converter and those flex plate bolts must be tight.

Regards,

K.

Wade & Landa Lawrence wrote:

> Kevin:
>
> Hey, this was a great answer, I appreciate the response.  One question
> though...what's to keep me from hooking the starter back up and quickly
> turning it over with the starter?   I plan on saving the engine (it's a
> numbers-matching car), but won't be doing anything with it.  Thanks!
>
> Wade

Kevin R. Merkley
Thunder Bay, Ontario
64 Dodge 440 2dr HT (Cdn)