RE: Nervous welder

[AD removed for archives]
Is Unemployment on the rise? Answer and Win!
caacHNhb7yoMza/PermissionData

Stanley Clinton wrote:

> I use the same method on metal that I use in woodworking... I sneek up
> on it, you can cut several times to make a perfect fit.  I have seen
> flanging tools but have never used one. I know that trying to butt weld
> sheetmetal is a pain,easy to burn through. Go SLOW and let everything
> cool down before the next weld to keep from warping. The average mig
> wire is quite "hard" compared to the base metal and is kind of brittle.
> Try using it as you would safety wire and you will see what I mean, It
> breaks after a few twists. Does anyone know of a wire that is softer???
> seems it would be better for auto panel replacement,.Stan

Your brittle wire may have been high strength wire believe it or not. I
cannot say for sure, but there is different wire out there in terms of
thickness and composition.

As far as the panel welding goes,

MY preference would be to have a small gap between the parts. No
flanging for me. Just MY preference. A gap about the thickness of your
wire would suit me. I would use .024 copper wire. Leaving the small gap
gives your wire a place to go, otherwise it will sit on top of your
panel and you will need to grind it down and finish it. No matter if you
flange it or but weld, its like anything else, measure twice (or three
times) and cut once.

Either way, as far as welding a panel, tack every corner you have first.
Criss cross the panel to keep the heat even. Sort of like tightening lug
nuts. Once you have done each corner, start at the fist tack weld and
make a second one next to the original, then contineu along making more
welds next to the other tack welds in the same pattern you originally
had. Sort of like tighten a cylinder head, even pressure. You tacks dont
have to be super small tacks, but keep the weld length short, less than
1/2". Let everything cool some before continuing between each weld.
Also, if you have a large piece of copper, say 1/4" thick, you can place
the copper on your panel, (if possible) and use it as a heat sink. This
will pull the heat out of the panel to keep warping to a minimum. 2
words will sum this up, Time and Patience.

Yes you can weld upside down with a mig.  Best way is to get some
practice first. With any welding you havent done before, take some scrap
material that is the same thickness and condition of the product you
plan to weld and use the scrap piece to set your mig welder up. This
way, if you are off, you will ruin scrap and not your car. once your
welder is set, practice selding horizontally first, then when you have
gotten somewhat profficent at that, you can proceed to welding above
your head. Stick with it, dont get too frustrated, its a simply mind
over matter.

Good luck, email me off list if you need any specific help. That goes
for anyone else as well.

Doc.
ntolerance@xxxxxxxxx

[AD removed for archives]
Is America Safe? Give your opinion on Homeland Security and enter
to win!
caacHM9b7yoMzf/PermissionData

----

b7yoMz.