Used Antifreeze (was RE: Stale gas)

[AD removed for archives]
Get 4 Free low-fat, low-carb recipes
caacG3rb7yoMza/PermissionData

While I was looking up tips on safe old gasoline disposal I found some
antifreeze disposal suggestions online. For small quantities like we
have check with your local wastewater treatment plant authority for
their suggestions. Disposal depends on the treatment facility condition
in your location. Or bring the used antifreeze to your local Household
Hazardous Waste Collection Event of Facility. See below.

The more '62 to '65 Mopars you have the more used antifreeze you'll end
up with as you service the vehicles.

Gary H.

~~~
Never dispose of used antifreeze in a sanitary sewer unless it has been
demonstrated not to be hazardous and permission has been granted by the
local wastewater treatment plant authority. The wastewater treatment
plant may limit you to only a few gallons at a time, flushed down the
sanitary sewer with plenty of water.

In general, it is believed that organisms in a wastewater treatment
plant can break down the major components of non-hazardous automobile
antifreeze. However, recent studies on used antifreeze from automotive
service and repair shops have indicated that metal concentrations can be
above acceptable limits for wastewater treatment systems.

One test the local wastewater treatment plant may require from small
businesses is a Toxicity Characteristic Leaching Procedure (TCLP). The
results of this analysis will indicate, among other things, heavy metal
concentrations in your antifreeze. The TCLP test can also be used when
determining if the still bottoms, filters and used antifreeze are
hazardous or non-hazardous.

*Never dispose of used antifreeze down the drain if you are attached to
a septic system and drain field.* You could contaminate or even destroy
your system, and risk endangering human health and the environment.

*Never pour used antifreeze into the storm sewer openings in your
street.* They may lead directly to the nearest creek, stream or lake,
and could transport discarded chemicals into those waters.
http://www.montana.edu/wwwated/antifreeze.shtml

Stanley Clinton wrote:

> Interesting stories concerning stale gas. No body said what to do with
> the old gas though,other than dumping it.Taint that agin the law???  I
> have made more than my share of enviromental transgressions in the past
> but have tried to mend my ways.We called the locals and asked them what
> to do with old antifreeze and they said to dump it down the drain does
> this sound right? I guess the sewage treatment can handle it,but makes
> you wonder. Stan in Montana

[AD removed for archives]
4 Free Low-Fat recipes
caacG3vb7yoMzf/PermissionData