RE: Rear Axle Changes

Apply now for a No-Annual-Fee Discover® Platinum Card
0% Intro APR*, No Annual Fee, Up to 2% Cashback Bonus®
award* Start Saving Today ? APPLY NOW! It's fast, easy and
secure.
caacf0Db7yoMza/ Discover Card
Gary,

I think you have a grip on it. One point worth noting is the nut behind
the wheel. Knowing what you have, and how to drive your car based
on your weakest component is very important. It will make that component
last a lot longer. Of course when you break the weakest link, and buy
a new Bullitt proof one, then you need to know want is the next weakest
one is.

Earl

Good points Earl.

All depends on the HP/torque available and deliverable to the rear via
rubber, the drivetrain components, the "stickyness" of the asphalt and
the shoe size of the driver. :)

So is this accurate:

* the "strength" of tapered axles used on a stock application is likely
okay for routine driver use;
*  T-axles "strength" decreases as the Mopar is transformed into a 15 to

13 second "street machine" but still likely okay for the majority of the

time;
*  T-axles "strength" crosses the threshold of beyond-usability when the

12- to 10 second 1/4 mile range is the routine goal for the Mopar?

Or, in other words, the standard applies: the faster you go the more
stuff you'll probably break. :)

Gary H.

Earl Helm wrote:

> My 2 cents:
>
> A. Back in the day the tires, track, converters, and HP was not what
> it is today. I raced "Back in the Day" - also today - and the tapered
> axles did not hold up for the guys going fast. It was a constant
> problem. A tapered axel is a poor choice. That is why you will not see

> them at the track today. An 8.75 rear with all the good stuff - MW 35
> spline axels - Spool - Billet caps - Billet Yoke - will break the gear

> once a year if your running hard - mid to low 10's - more if your
> running a trans break. Do the math - go to the Moser web site, and use
> their calculator.
>
> B. Don knows how to drive his car. He will break his axel, and ring
> and pinion if he flogs it all the time. If it is for casual use on
> >the street, you might get away with it for awhile.
>
> C. Yes, all of the Pigs interchange.
>
> Earl
>

> My 2 cents:
>
> A. The 8.75 was strong enough for the racers of the day back in the
> 1960's. Granted, the tire technology was less "sticky" then, but if
you
> are using the car as a street machine unlikely you'll have such a
> HP/tire combo to pull the front end up in the air and snap the 8.75.
>
> I *think* Don D's 1963 Dodge 440 with a 426 uses a tapered version of
> the 741 8.75 and 391 gears with 29 inch tall tires without problem.

<snip>

Buy Stocks and Index Funds for just $4 No Account or
Investment Minimums and No Inactivity Fees Automatically
invest weekly or monthly and build your future.
caaccMMb7yoMzf/ Sharebuilder

----

b7yoMz.