RE: Rear Axle Changes

Graduate in less than 13 months with AIU?s Online virtual
campus. Classrooms and student service as close as your
computer. Highly accredited, study anytime ? anywhere.
caaccM2b7yoMza/ AIU

My 2 cents:

A. Back in the day the tires, track, converters, and HP was not what
it is today. I raced "Back in the Day" - also today - and the tapered
axles did not hold up for the guys going fast. It was a constant
problem.
A tapered axel is a poor choice. That is why you will not see them at
the track today. An 8.75 rear with all the good stuff - MW 35 spline
axels - Spool - Billet caps - Billet Yoke - will break the gear once
a year if your running hard - mid to low 10's - more if your running
a trans break. Do the math - go to the Moser web site, and use
their calculator.

B. Don knows how to drive his car. He will break his axel, and ring
and pinion if he flogs it all the time. If it is for casual use on the
street,
you might get away with it for awhile.

C. Yes, all of the Pigs interchange.

Earl

My 2 cents:

A. The 8.75 was strong enough for the racers of the day back in the
1960's. Granted, the tire technology was less "sticky" then, but if you
are using the car as a street machine unlikely you'll have such a
HP/tire combo to pull the front end up in the air and snap the 8.75.

I *think* Don D's 1963 Dodge 440 with a 426 uses a tapered version of
the 741 8.75 and 391 gears with 29 inch tall tires without problem.

B. Drum pulling is the biggest complaint I hear about these. But
swapping axles is less time consuming on the '65 up versions. How often
do you swap axles, though?

C. Don't the center chunks fit regardless of years? I always forget this

point. As for availability of shim spacers, bearings, axles on the
tapered I don't know. I assume used tapered axles are easy to find,
should your Mopar snap one.

Gary H.

Robert neal zimmerman wrote:

> > Depends on your goal with the car, I suppose. Stop or go?
> > applications.
> >
> > Gary H.
>   OK help me out, i am kind of on this thing right now too.
>      A) is the early 8 3/4 rear just as strong as the later one?
>       B) Is it this drum pulling that makes them tricky or are there
other
>       drawbacks?
>        C) are the early rearends harder to find parts for or do they
>        interchange just fine?
>    Neal Zimmerman, Eugene Oregon

Looking for a Promotional or Marketing Gift? Discover
Crazy Aaron's Thinking Putty in grown up handfuls. It's
the creativity unleashing, mood enhancing desk toy
customized with your corporate image!
caaceBcb7yoMzf/ Crazy Aaron Enterprises

----

b7yoMz.