  From: Richard Kinsley<mailto:r.kinsley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  To: 1962to1965mopars@xxxxxxxxxx<mailto:1962to1965mopars@xxxxxxxxxx>
  Sent: Sunday, March 21, 2004 11:45 AM
  Subject: Break in/synthetic oil

      I took all the auto shop classes available at Saddleback JC in Mission Viejo, CA back in the ' 73 - ' 74 era. One of the items I got pretty excited about was a seminar regarding the then new EON E-11 synthetic oils. (EXXON later made a deal with them and they changed the name to NEO) It had the same viscosity from like -260F to plus 400F. (Just trying to remember) The big thing was it had much better bearing support and less friction. Engines would run cooler with less wear and no sludge or gum build-up. It's a solvent based oil which actually would dissolve old build-ups also. This was a problem with a less than clean engine. If you had lot's of sludge and alot of play it could loosen all the junk and plug up oil flow and/or loosen bearing clearances more to cause slop and maybe blow-by. Generally I believe they said an engine should only have about 25K or less on it or you shouldn't switch to it. Also it was such a good lube that it would prevent proper break-in because the rings might not seat. I did use it in my brand new '76 Pontiac Grand Prix but after about 2K for break in. They said you could go 25K between oil changes and I did with this car but I did change the filter a couple times and top off the oil again. I used it a couple other times and always noted reduced engine temp, better oil pressure and mileage. It's just pricey. It's a bit scary after cruising the freeway to stop and watch the oil pressure drop way down but that's a characteristic of the synthetic and not really a problem. I like it but not for break-in.
                                                                              Rich Kinsley  '64 Polara 4 door

  ----

  http://www.1962to1965mopar.ornocar.org/mletiq.html<http://www.1962to1965mopar.ornocar.org/mletiq.html>.

----