Re: keysets/ignitions/locks

On Wed, 17 Mar 2004 23:43:28 -0600 Dave Casey <dcasey@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
writes:
> You should be able to get the iginition cylinder just about anywhere,
> but
> the key will okk a little different (you could have an original
> style key
> cut to fit your new lock). You should also be able to re-key the
> new
> ignition cylinder to your original keys so that the doors and
> ignition are
> keyed alike.
> Also, Borg-Warner still has a trunk lock cylinder kit for
> 66-72,which will
> fit if installed upside down, but the trunk key is different and
> cannot be
> replaced with an original style key (the grooves down te side of the
> blank
> are different.
> You can get an NOS trunk cylinder with 2 keys on eBay for under $30.
> I just
> did this for my '65 and plan to key the console and glove box to
> work with
> my new trunk cylinder (my original, which I sitll have just stopped
> working
> out of the blue, won't budge with either of my two original keys).
>
> Dave Casey
>
> I would like to add to this story. My dad used to be a locksmith, and
he showed me a little secret, that I have used on my '65 Plymouth, and
'69 Dodge.  Not only did I rekey all cylinders alike, but there is a
blank key available that can be used in all cylinders. This is what I
call the "E" key, or emergency key. Because the grooves on the ignition
key, and trunk key are in different places, this "E" key has extra wide
grooves. Makes the key kind of thin, and I don't think that you would
want to use it for your everyday key. But, to have one key fit everything
on your car, is pretty handy. You can hide this key somewhere on the car,
for that "just in case" moment. Also the key can be used as a master for
cutting replacement ignition or trunk keys that got lost. With owners
that have their working keys, take your ignition key, and trunk cylinder,
to a locksmith, and tell them what you want to do.  Use this key
blank----   STAR- OPL 70, also marked Y151/Y152.
 Have the key cut to duplicate the ignition cuts, and rekey the trunk
cylinder to that cut. The glove box cylinder has wafers and not as easy
to rekey. *** As an after thought, I guess you could take the ignition
cylinder out, and have it rekeyed to the same cuts as the trunk key, that
way the glove box lock will still function.***  I rekeyed my cylinders
myself, and didn't have a working G.B. cylinder anyway.  Just an idea
that might help you out sometime.  Tom

----

b7yoMz.