Re: 413

In building the 413 for my max wedge car, here is what I found: it is a correct '62 max wedge block. It had been bored to the 426 +.030 over size, and had 426 +.030 over pistons in it. These are the pistons I sold to another list member last summer. However, the pistons were very loose in the bore, and the wear was such that it would need to be bored to 426 +.040 size to clean up again. I am about 50 miles from Indy Cyl Head. My machinist called them and asked about getting the block sonic checked. They replied that they would be glad to take my money, but that they didn't need a sonic test to tell me that there was no way there was enough metal left in the cylinder walls for a good high performance ring seal at 426 .040 over, even though we probably wouldn't break through, as 413 blocks had very thick walls. Thus was made my decision to sleeve the block. Before selecting the sleeves, my machinist and I talked extensively about the best way to go. He CC'd my -286 '62 max wedge heads, coming up with an average of 86.5 CC, pretty damn good given the nominal spec is 87 CC, so at most these heads have had only a clean-up mill at some time in the past. I checked into several supposed sources for 413 and 426 pistons. Of course KB has the deep-dish truck pistons, which would give about 8.5 to 1 with those chambers. A lot of places listed stock flattop 413 and 426 pistons, when I called, it was "oops, those are backordered" every time. I finally found a set of 413 .030 over Badgers at "Loweville Automotive", they had listed a complete 413 rebuild kit on eBay, so I emailed them and eventually got the pistons. These were flattop, and very heavy, and also would be down in the hole quite a bit based on their specs. So I messed around with second thoughts, meanwhile the machine shop ordered the sleeves for 413 size. In my experience, a 10:1 or 10.25:1 static compression ratio, like I'm running in my 340 Cuda with mildly domed pistons, works very well for a HP street-strip type car, and I hated to give up the compression. FInally I bit the bullet, the machinist called up Ross Pistons and laid out everything we had. I'm planning to run about a .509 cam or thereabouts for easier street driving, so we gave them that, the chamber CC's, etc. They made up a set of stock bore 413 pistons, domed to give me 10.25 to 1 based on the info we provided. Man they are beautiful, and man were they expensive, nearly $800 with shipping.

Bill & Kathi Parker, South Central Indiana
'56 Chrysler Windsor; '60 Chrysler Saratoga; '62 Plymouth Max Wedge; '64 Dart convertible; '65 Barracuda \6; '65 Imperial; '68 Barracuda FB 340-S; '69 Barracuda FB now 360; '72 Cuda '340

Find things fast with the new MSN Toolbar ? includes FREE pop-up blocking! http://clk.atdmt.com/AVE/go/onm00200414ave/direct/01/

----

b7yoMz.