RE: 1965 Plymouth Sport Fury Indy Pace Car

RE: 1965 Plymouth Sport Fury Indy Pace Car

Nice article Gary, thanks.

I had a '65 Sport Fury Convertible just after I got out of college.  It had the 383 2bbl and a 4 speed.  It had been cared for by the second owner and was nice with the exception of a little rust starting to show (this was in 1977).

In this car I learned not to take long trips with the top down with long hair - I went to visit a buddy in Kalamazoo, (3-4 hours away) with the top down, and my head hurt for a week!

I had driven the car just a few months when I was involved in a runaway vehicle accident in the Dodge Dealer I worked at, and was off work for 6 weeks.  The damage to my legs meant I couldn't drive the 4 speed, so I ended up buying a van off the used car lot and sold the convertible to my younger brother.

He was taking auto body at the local career center, and wasted no time painting the originally beige car a nice copper color, which looked great with the black top, interior, and Cragar GT mags.  Nice car for a senior in high school!

Anyway, not long after that, for whatever reason (probably my brother working on my mother's car) mom drove the convertible to work, where a nun managed to back all the way down the passenger side, creasing the entire car, front to back.  My brother lost interest and sold it to a local guy who rodded the snot out of it, let it sit and rot, and I'm assuming sent to scrap.  *sigh*

SC