Date: Sun, 3 Mar 2013 14:46:38 -0800
From: raybell46@xxxxxxxxx
To: 1962to1965mopars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: mopar posi

I think it's a 489 and the '9' is hard to see...

On Monday, 4 March 2013 03:38:30 UTC+10, MO wrote:
 I don't recognize that casting number.....

 HERE WE GO AGAIN!

There ARE differences between different models, you need to know this. I think the '64 models still had different axle lengths for open vs Sure Grip (nobody put that in, did they?) centres. At some point, either '63 or '64 this was changed and someone with more knowledge than me would have to confirm.

This all assumes you have the original rear end in the car, of course. Which would have the tapered axles with the big nut on the end to retain the hubs. The centre block in the earlier open differentials was a quarter of an inch smaller than the later models (they are 1.5", so the earlier one is 1.25"), while the Sure Grips had the full 1.5" spacer 'buttons' in there. So the axles are an eighth of an inch LONGER for open centres.

This particular Sure Grip is the later cone type made by Borg Warner, by the way. It is not as highly sought after as the Dana Power Lok as used up until the end of the sixties and therefore should sell for less. That said, it seems the prices on these things are steadily climbing and I'm sure the cone type will do the job in most applications. And don't believe they aren't rebuildable, as they can be re-machined and the springs packed with spacers to rejuvinate them.

So check what your present rear end is...

Ray