Re: SOLVED!!! electrical/wiring problem‏ -- THANK YOU!

Re: SOLVED!!! electrical/wiring problem‏ -- THANK YOU!

Looking through the thread, could not see any explanation as to why
the ballast resistor.  So, to explain what goes on -

The ballast resistor has a piece of resistor wire surrounded by
porcelain.  The ballast resistor cuts the voltage from 12 down to
around 6 volts.  The voltage being "removed" is dissipated in the form
of heat.  Porcelain is a good electrical insulator, and it is also a
good heat insulator.  Thus the resistor wire breaks down after a few
years.

The ignition switch has a START and a RUN (or ON) position and the
wires from each go to separate ends of the ballast resistor.  There is
a second wire attached to ballast resistor along with the wire from
the START position that runs to the coil.  Thus when you are starting
the car the flow of power bypasses the resistor and goes directly to
the coil.

When you release the key and the ignition switch falls back to the RUN
position, power runs through the resistor.  Thus, if the resistor is
dead, the engine will die the moment the ignition switch goes from
START to ON.

The reason for the ballast resistor was cut the voltage back to 6
volts with the adoption of 12 volt electrics as 12 volts wore out the
points too quickly. A few cars cars back then had the resistor between
the coil and the points.  Then someone, a  bean counter more than
likely, figured out it was cheaper to put it before the coil and then
you could use a lower power (ie cheaper) coil.  One make actually went
back to a 6 volt coil when they moved the resistor.  Which is why the
coil also became sensitive to the 12 volt current - it was no longer a
true 12 volt unit.

Bill
Toronto, ON