Petty Stock Car Update

This is the letter I sent to Gulf Coast Motor Sports Magazine..
Jimbo,

The Petty Stock Car Project has moved into a new phase. She is now completed and we call her,  "Ol'43"

Woke up 5 AM to a clap of thunder Saturday morning. Oh no, "Ol'43" is attending her first car show in Bay Springs today. After a couple years of work she is all decaled up, looking great and ready to ride. By 6 AM all was dry.  Me and Wife hopped in "Ol'43" and headed out. This is her first big road trip, a 70 mile run from Fannin to Bay Springs down MS 18. All of her vital signs are great, 180 temp, 62 lbs oil pressure and 14 amps charging. Only gauges we have.

Weather is cloudy, but looking better in spots. After a stop in Raleigh, to top off our 8 gal fuel cell, we are pleasantly surprised to be getting 20 mpg.  Back on the track, "Ol'43"  is running like a $2 Timex as we press on. Arriving in Bay Springs, the Southern Classic Cruisers signs directed us to the park.   Got parked and set up our chairs under the shade trees with the Hux brothers, Fonzie and Keith and the McAfee family.

Had a great time swapping stories with Roy Rogers, Mark Ishee, John Stanly Poor, Jimmie Temple, Joe Bush and Gerry Myrick about the 2010 Red Neck Power Tour. Fuzzee Russell was also on hand, hard at work, coordinating  the 2011 Power Tour and all the other 'stuff" he does.

Weather would not cooperate with us, no rain, but was very threatening. The Club did the best they could to keep things on schedule and speed up the process to beat the inevitable rain.

My special thanks to all.."Ol'43" received the "Top Pick" award !!

Heading home we were not so lucky. Ran into heavy rain, but in Petty Car Tradition, "Ol'43" kept on gettin' it.. She was not going to let no windows or wipers slow her down. I asked the wife how we were doing and in a strong co-driver voice she replied."waters not to high, not running into my shoes. yet." Was kinda nice when the rain stopped 5 miles from Brandon.

That evening at Jo's Diner Cruise In, Casey Yates gave me a Richard Petty Cooler to celebrate the debut of  "Ol'43". Best part it was full of beer, bless his heart.

It was a great day for Me, Teresa and "Ol'43"

Looking forward to seeing everyone for the Queen City Show at Battlefield Motorsports Park in Collinsville, Sept 11.

Ollie and Teresa Patterson

 Brandon, MS
http://picasaweb.google.com/satellite1965/PettyStockCarProject#

----