RE: Thoughts on my set-up

Rich,
	Not sure what your car weighs but you're flyin' with a 318 and four
doors.  I had a 383 4 BBL 69 Coronet with 3.91 gears in high school that ran
the same times...

	You're right, there's no sense trying to make changes based on one
run.  Gather some more data and go from there.

	Not sure what your objectives are relative to street manners, etc...
how is the "seat of the pants" feel?  Leaving well?  Hooking well?  Have you
worked with the advance curves at all?  What gears are you running?

	If you're really close (I think 10.016 qualifies) you can probably
get your 9 second timeslip with a few stocker tricks (you probably know most
of them)... run the trans a quart low, max out the tire pressures, light
fuel load, take out the back seat... :P  In my cars I've learned that
pulling high gear a little early (300-500 rpm) will shave a couple
hundredths and potentially make up for a slight nap at the starting line,
but that may not help in the 1/8th mile.  That same rule sadly bites back
and sends us home early if timely shifts don't happen, BTW.

	We did some work relative to paint finishes when I worked in
Alternative Fuels and there are some who believe shiny paint and a good coat
of wax is worth doing (at that
"separating-the-pepper-from-the-fly-droppings" level)... might just get you
that 16 thousandths of a second you're looking for.  Probably not alot to be
gained as it would only come into play above 50mph.  With the current setup
you're actually only a pocket of good air or a little tailwind away from
9's.

	Dan Dvorak wrote a great article entitled "Last Minute Heroics"...
not alot of help for bracket warriors but priceless for class racers or
somebody trying to make an index in bad air.  Just reading it makes my palms
sweat.  Check it out:

http://www.dvorakmachine.com/tech_LastMinuteHeroics.shtml

SC