RE: Car Club Ideas

Hi,

I did a Poker Run for our club this summer and we did the following:

Contacted 5 locations for stops where the members could pick up a card.
Created activities for each of them to perform at each stop. Actually,
we had activities for 4 stops.  The last stop was the location of the
BBQ. The activities consisted of:

  Spark Plug changing (Take two plugs out and reinstall them in the
other two holes.  The plugs were to be torqued in place.  It was a timed
event.

  Lifter Stacking:  a set of lifters were to be stacked with no more
than 5 on the bottom and they were to be at least 3 layers high.  The
contestants were blindfolded.  It was a timed evevnt to a maximum time
of 3 minutes.  (I used a piece of cardboard inside a welding helmet).

Pilon avoidance:  A pilon was placed in front and rear of the member's
vehicle and they were to drive towards it and back up towards the pilon
and stop without touching the pilon.  The closest wins.

Compression ratio:  Members threw pistons and rods (like horseshoes) at
a cylinder head laying on its side.  The closest to the head without
touching it wins.  If it touches, no good.

We awarded points for 1st, 2nd and 3rd and the winner got a prize.  We
had a prize for women and men since there is a slight advantage for the
men since we may have used torque wrenches and changed spark plugs
before.

There are many other activities that can be dreamed up and I'd love to
hear what others have done.

btw, the fastest time for changint two sparkplugs and installing them to
the correct toque was 44 seconds.  This was in a Poly head.

Regards,

K.

Bill M wrote:

> We do 50/50's at our shows and have pretty good success. We up'd it
> last year by doing a double drawing...1st was for the cash, 2nd was
> for a $50 gift cert for a local restaurant. I think we had almost $400
> int he pot.
>
> I really like the idea of a poker run or rod run that was mentioned,
> but I'm not sure how to do them. I'm looking for ideas that could get
> the club members together to do stuff they should be doing...like
> driving and enjoying their cars!
> --=20
> Bill M
> 65 Coronet 500 'vert http://1962to1965mopar.ornocar.com/mmo62008.html
>

> On Mon, Sep 21, 2009 at 10:22 AM, Herb <zephyr9900@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >

> > In our area we do what they call a 50/50 drawing. =C2=A0Get a roll or
> > two=
>  of
> > carnival tickets (With Matching Stubs) and have members sell them to the
> > crowd for $1.00 each or 6 for $5.00 and at the end of the night have a
> > Ki=
> > or a nice looking Female pick a winner from a container containing all
> > th=
> > matching stubs from the ticket sales. =C2=A0The club or group splits the
> > =
> pot with
> > the winner, hence $100.00 pot, winner gets $50.00 & club gets $50.00.
> > Depending on the size of the get-together pots pay out $50.00 to $500.00
> > =
> or
> > more. =C2=A0A nice addition is have locale businesses donate small
> > prizes=
>  like
> > cups, coupons & cleaning supply's and such then keep pulling tickets and
> > give the door prizes away. =C2=A0One note to club, try to keep members
> > fr=
> om
> > buying tickets, it slows peoples ticket purchasing down if members seem
> > t=
> > win a lot! =C2=A0One place I go members all have matching green T-shirts
> > =
> and a
> > green shirt seems to win the pot & good door prizes all the time.
> > =C2=A0G=
> > figure! =C2=A0They wonder why no one buys many tickets at their shows
> > any=
>  more.
> >
> > =EF=BB=BF =EF=BB=BF =EF=BB=BF =EF=BB=BF =EF=BB=BF =EF=BB=BF =EF=BB=BF
> > =EF=
> =BB=BF =EF=BB=BF =EF=BB=BF
> > =C2=A0Herb
> >
> > 1956 Plymouth Belvedere 361