RE: Lost Cam Lobes - Metal Chips in Engine

Donald Gallimore wrote:

> My 440 lost two cam lobes, one fully gone. (#4 & #6 intake.) Need to
> clean out the powdered metal.
>
> Any suggestions on getting the powdered metal out with the engine in the
> car?  What can I use to flush out the motor that won't leave a residue
> that could be a problem since I need to fire the engine and immediately
> run at 2,000 RPM to break in the new cam?
>
> What I'm going to do is blot up all the oil in the lifter gallery,
> picking up what metal I can. I'm going to pull the pan and clean it out
> thoroughly.  Pull the pump and check it - I'm figuring it's trash but
> I'll check it. Pull the filter, cut it open to see if it got clogged.
> Pull a number of rod and crank caps and check the bearings. They'll be
> magnets involved in the clean-up, also.
>
> Anything I've overlooked?
>
>   Akron Don
>   '65 Belvedere
> --

I feel for you Don, but it isn't always the end user fault. Guys have
wiped cams with every additive known to man.

I wiped a lobe on my last build because I was lazy and didn't want to
remove the inner spring on break in. I convinced myself I didn't have
enough pressure to justify it. Wrong! I pulled the motor and tore it
down completely. I power washed it out including all the galleys and
passages. I put new main and rod bearings in as well as a new oil pump.
You're going to have bits of metal embedded in the piston skirts that
will scratch the heck out of the walls. If you're just trying to finish
the race season then don't worry about it; Take care of it over the
winter. If it were me, I'd tear it down to try to mitigate additional
damage.

Lifters: Schubeck is out of business because the last batch he was
selling shattered the ceramic coating on the faces and wiped out a few
motors. I would recommend Howards/Comp  EDM solid lifters. They have a
laser cut oil hole in the lifter face that oils the lobe/lifter all the
time. They offer a little more protection than std. solid lifters.

Camshaft: It's essential to check any new cam for core shift. I have a
Racer Brown on the shelf that is off about .180". Essentially the lifter
hangs off the lobe an extra .180". I caught the issue during the build,
but had I fired the motor with that cam the results would have been a
disaster.

Good Luck,

Dave Walters
Aurora, Co.