From: Dennis C. <dennis.2914@xxxxxxxxx>
To: 1962to1965mopars@xxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Sunday, September 6, 2009 7:31:23 PM
Subject: RE: Lost Cam Lobes - Metal Chips in Engine

I don't have an answer to your question but your problem is the last
straw!

I'm going to a roller cam this winter on my 383.  I checked the lifters
the last time I had the intake off and have a very slight hour glass
pattern on one lifter indicating that it may not be rotating.  I've been
using Rotella Synthetic and ZDDPlus additive and still may have a
problem.

It will be a looong honey-do list for the wife but worth all of it to
get a cam that I will not have to worry about.

Good luck with yours, let us know how it goes

Dennis C.

Donald Gallimore wrote:

> My 440 lost two cam lobes, one fully gone. (#4 & #6 intake.) Need to
> clean out the powdered metal.
>
> Any suggestions on getting the powdered metal out with the engine in the
> car?  What can I use to flush out the motor that won't leave a residue
> that could be a problem since I need to fire the engine and immediately
> run at 2,000 RPM to break in the new cam?
>
> What I'm going to do is blot up all the oil in the lifter gallery,
> picking up what metal I can. I'm going to pull the pan and clean it out
> thoroughly.  Pull the pump and check it - I'm figuring it's trash but
> I'll check it. Pull the filter, cut it open to see if it got clogged.
> Pull a number of rod and crank caps and check the bearings. They'll be
> magnets involved in the clean-up, also.
>
> Anything I've overlooked?
>
>   Akron Don
>   '65 Belvedere
> --

1996 Dodge Ram 3500 Van Conversion
1964 Plymouth Belvedere 318 Auto
1963 Plymouth Sport Fury 383 4-speed
1949 Dodge Pickup 289/C4 soon to be changed
1998 Honda Valkyrie Standard

----
Please address private mail -- mail of interest to only one person -- directly to that person.  I.e., send parts/car transactions and negotiations as well as other personal messages only to the intended recipient, not to the Clubhouse public address. This practice will protect your privacy, reduce the total volume of mail and fine tune the content signal to Mopar topic.  Thanks!