Re: 8.75 Axle End Play

Cut 1/8" off the end of  one axle.

  Jimmy

Bill wrote:
I'll try to answer all questions & I apologize if I miss one...

I'm swapping pumpkins. The new one is a #9 case (2891489) 3.23 ratio.

The axles match the housing. It was a 2.93 open 'X' case.

I have no idea if the end-play was adjusted properly in the rear. I
just pulled it apart.

This is not a tapered axle...it has the adjustable right side bearing.

I did not look at or add any metal shims. They go between the backing
plate and housing...correct?

I've heard horror stories about Green bearing use on the street. I've
heard they are not for street use as they don't take side stress
(cornering) well.

OK...to attempt to re-clarify- When I bolt in the axles and follow the
adjustment procedure in the FSM, (backing the adjuster off until it's
even with the face of the mounting flange) I have no slack in the axle
(no end play movement).

If I SOMEHOW determine that it's a thrust block problem, then what the
hell do I do about it? Can I add shims to the axle housing ends to
create my end play? What does this thrust block look like? IS the
block in a SG rear thicker than an open rear? Are the SG axles somehow
shorter that open axles? (I seem to remember a discussion about this)

Gary (mopar413)-Are referring to the metal shims as spacers?

I pulled this from the link posted earlier...
http://www.autohobbydigest.com/8_75.html

"Any 8-3/4" center section may be interchanged for another as an
entire assembly except for a thrust block difference of non-Suregrip
units built before 1964.

there was a slight dimensional change in axle shaft length when the
Sure Grip design changed. If interchanging axles with the slight
difference, the threaded end play adjustment can be used to
accommodate it."

My axle is a 65. Car was built in May of 65. When did this wonderful
"slight dimensional change" take place and what was it???

----