RE: gas tank sealer

Dave,
	My personal experience with tank sealers was good up until a couple
of years ago...

	We were getting ready to go away for a week (not sure which car
show) and I smelled gasoline in the garage.  I figured it was my backup
generator, as it sometimes vents fumes from the gas tank when it's warm in
the garage.  I rolled the generator out into the back and covered it with a
tarp.

	As we were locking up (the truck was running in the driveway to cool
the interior down, and the family was buckling up) I again noted a strong
gasoline odor in the garage.   I attributed it to lingering fumes from the
generator as I locked up the back.  As I was walking to the front of the
garage I either dropped something or bent over to pick something up (again,
don't remember) and as I was stooped over noticed a wet spot under my
Barracuda, and a slow but steady drip.

	Further investigation revealed that the tank had been patched under
the strap, then sealed from the inside.  Vibration probably caused
everything to wear and eventually begin leaking again.

	This usually wouldn't be a major problem, except for these two facts
- we were leaving for a whole week, and my garage shares a wall with the
room downstairs that houses the boiler and water heater for the house, both
with standing pilots.  I firmly believe that had I not bent over to pick up
whatever was on the floor, we would have returned home to a pile of ash.

	IMHO, I'd rather have the car laid up for a while waiting for a tank
than take a chance with patching.  I see tanks on eBay for under $200, which
is way less than my insurance deductible.

	I personally treat the fuel system like brakes - everything new.
Paint, interior, and go-fast stuff comes second.

Just my $.02
SC