Re: Balanced flywheel

Jeff,

Materials needed:  Angle finder (digital preferred)

1.  Go to http://www.4xshaft.com/index.html

2.  Click on "Geometry 101"

3. Scroll down to the second diagram entitled "Proper Geometry for Conventional Two Joint Driveshaft"

This diagram serves as a starting point. From here you may need to tweak a little depending on your driving style and Torque / HP numbers. If you just have a driver, maybe just get on it once in a while, and are just trying to get rid of vibrations, I would drop the rear pinion angle ONE - two degrees from parallel as shown in the diagram. This is done to account for the upward rotation of the pinion from leaf spring flex under acceleration. If you were drag racing all the time, you'd want to go lower...

So basically you need to measure the angle of the transmission output shaft and the rear pinion to see where you are at. This needs to be done with the suspension loaded and at ride height. I usually put the jackstands under the rear axle tubes and put my front wheels on wooden blocks. I bounce the car a few times before getting under to measure. You may want to also put jackstands under the front subframes near-but-not-touching for safety.

If you can find a flat, machined surface on the yokes to measure from, you're in luck. I use machined metal height blocks to space the angle finder out sometimes when there is interference with the tranny case or drive shaft. Make sure measuring surfaces are square and parallel to the ground and measure. I use a digital angle-finder accurate to .1 degrees (Home Depot) because I have had two supposedly nice manual angle finders and the needles are sticky enough to not be sensitive to 1 or 2 degrees, which is what you need it to be.

If you can't find a flat machined surface to measure from on either of the yokes, you will need to remove the driveshaft and take measurements off of the trans output shaft and the face of the rearend yoke. Again, make sure all measurements are square and parallel to the measuring surface / ground or they'll be wrong. Use a right-angle square held against the surfaces if necessary to fit your angle finder in there.

Now check the two angles against each other as shown in the diagram and see where you stand. Add shims angled forward or reversed under your spring packs to achieve the target mentioned above. I'd get longer spring bolts when you order shims, sometimes you need them and sometimes you don't. But you want to have 'em on hand when you do the job in case.

It is very straightforward, let me know if you have questions.

Wakeman

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jeff Adams" <ledman_70@xxxxxxxxxxx>