RE: 440 Source Stroker Kits/was Heads

Dave,

You are so right. Nothing should be used out of the
box without being checked. Just got a new Callies crank
for the race car. First thing I did was to check everything.

You will find that almost every complete head you buy you
will wind up replacing the valve springs based on your cam
usage. Especially if you're trying to make HP, and or using
a high lift cam. Also, I have never been happy with the valve
jobs on replacement aluminum heads. Valve heights are off,
valve lengths are off, and the seat cuts are never the best.
Can you run them, yes, are they correct, almost never.

FYI - Almost every crank - rods - are imported blanks no
matter who the manufacture is. About the only difference is
the finish machine work. The better suppliers do their machine
work state side. I would assume that 440 is having
the machine work overseas, if they are that inconsistent. Almost
every valve is made in Brazil. Guys that purchase a name brand
crank, and think it is US made, are mistaken. The design work is
done in the US. The blanks are made in China. The reason I
know is I work with most the engineers that do the design work.
They almost all use our software.

THE MOST IMPORTANT PART OF A ROTATING ASSYMBLY is the
rod bolts. Never skimp on rod bolts. Most H beam rods, even cheap
ones will hold up for a street, heavy bracket use car with good
rod bolts, if everything is machined and assembled correctly. I saw
4 engine explosions at the end of the year at the track. Everyone
boiled down to running the rod bolts too long. All four guys to the T
make the same statement, "I just wanted to get thru this year, I was
going to rebuild it this winter, this is the second year on these
parts".
For a street car, a good set of rod bolts will last you the life of the
motor, and let you run it hard. I replace mine every year.
Never had a rod failure. Think ARP

Earl