RE: Mopar's SS springs QC?

That's what I did for my 64 Belvedere 3 years ago.  I bought it in NH with
42K original (4D Sedan) and everything was original and sagging.  As soon as
a put 2 people in the back seat it almost bottomed out.  I went to a spring
shop that I had used before for my truck and he measured it, told me it
should be about 1" higher, I asked for an extra inch but stiffer (stroker
package for the poly in mind) and they went to work on it.  They took out
some leaves and re-arched them and added 1 new replacement on each side.
Took a day. They had all the pads, hardware, clamps, etc., and when I came
back (got a ride), I sat in the back with my brother (200# + 260#) and the
rear bumper dropped 1" (to stock height), I was pleased as punch, paid him
and went for a ride.
They have some kind of science these spring guys do and they also had some
reference manuals so they could tell me what the factory weight was supposed
to be and what they were reworking them for.  I think they added 200#'s
(each side) to the capacity if I remember right but I kept the slips.  I
think I paid them $500 which is a lot money but a that time I had no
resources to do anything like that and never before done it.
Even though I think I could pull it off with my 65 (it has air shocks now) I
think I'd probably still go that route.  I don't have my own lift, or jacks
for the rear axle and springs and one slip-up under a car on jack stands
trying to bend a leaf and line it up could change the tone of my voice.  I
vote for the spring shop, just my $.02.

Tom

I'd say, unless you're doing a concours resto that personal preference
rules.
Find a maxie you like the stance of, and measure.
A good spring shop should have the experience and be able to accomplish
what is needed from that measurement.

pigdoc

----