Poly Stroker dyno test today

Just thought I would let the group know about the latest Poly Stroker (actually 396 cid) with my favorite 4" crank that I built and dyno'd for a customer today.

I used a "small cam" and experimented with two radically different carbs after the engine break-in. The results surprised me so I thought some of you would find it interesting; parameters are as follows.

My customer has a '66 Charger with high rear end gears (numerically low), 727 automatic, and wanted a mid-level Stroker build more for cruising & reliability than perfomance.  He wanted a mild idle, cast iron dual plane Poly intake, and all power in before 5000rpm (remember its a street cruiser).

We made 441Torque @ 3500rpm
                  357HP       @ 5000rpm

with a 750 double-pumper Holley on a stock OEM cast iron Poly intake w/ four-hole adapter and 224@.050" lift Hydraulic cam (280/.480" advertised).

Next pull with my "experiment" carb netted
                      440Torque @ 3500rpm
                      357HP        @ 5100rpm

with my 500cfm Edelbrock AFB; one of the two dual quad carbs destined for my next Poly Stroker build.

The Poly achieved 98.6% volumetric efficiency and used 501cfm with the Edelbrock carb and achieved 99.8% volumetric efficiency and used 497cfm with the 750Holley double-pumper carb.

Air/Fuel ratio on each carb was perfect and near identical.

I was surprised to see how well the small 500cfm Edelbrock did on a near 400cubic inch motor. The butterfly shaft/choke and "stuff" was removed from the Edelbrock for improved flow.

Now mind you, this is just an engine dyno and the smaller carb would probably react differently on the street.

FYI,
Gary Pavlovich

----