From: Don Dulmage
To: 1962to1965mopars@xxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Monday, June 09, 2008 9:45 PM
Subject: trrans

In first gear 1 position.
Forward clutch is applied . Low reverse band is applied as well as sprague is working too.
In second gear 2 position.
Forward clutch is applied and Kickdown band is applied.
In drive high gear (3rd)
Forward clutch is applied and high (or direct clutch) is applied
In drive, first gear position only forward clutch and sprague are used.
In drive second gear  same as 2 manual selection
Forward clutch and kickdown band)
In reverse
High (or direct clutch) and low reverse band)
The forward clutch is called the forward clutch because it is on anytime the vehicle is going FORWARD. Confusingly though some call it the rear clutch because it is behind the high clutch however if we stick to forward clutch then the confusion is gone. It is on when going forward. Plain and simple.
The high clutch is on in high gear. It is also on in reverse.
SO If you want to check your high clutch for condition put the car in reverse. That is what the pros do.
If the car goes forward in any gear then you know the forward clutch is ok otherwise you could not go forward.
There are only two clutches in the trans and now you know exactly how to check their operation from the drivers seat.
If you have second gear then the kickdown band is working.
If you have reverse then the low reverse band is working. You could still have low with a defective low reverse band because it is not necessary for low but used as an assit in 1 position only. In reverse however it is a must. So now you can check all bands and clutches from the driver seat.
If all gears are present but not behaving. Dont overhaul the trans, just change the valve body. You could not have the gear if the clutches and bands were defectve.
Usually the high clutch wears out first. A quick check for reverse will reveal a slippery or nonexistant reverse.
With a high ratio (4.2 to 5.0 kickdown band lever. a small amount of band wear will produce a slipping band. That is because the lever while adding apply pressure through leverage has substitued pressure for distance and so is much less tolerant of band wear.
I use 1/4 inch lever clearance and it works good. i do not use the torque to bla bla inch pounds and back of3 3 turns or whatever. An old racer taught me the 1/4" thing and it is so fool proof I have forgotten the other deal .
I also use it for the low reverse band.
This is carved in stone. It is how to check and understand your automatic. If you think when you driving when in each gear, what band and what clutch is on right now
When I am in first.
 When I am in second,
When I am in high
 and
When I am in reverse.
You will, in about a day, learn this and will have demystified your trans and its function. No matter what anyone trys to say this is how it works. It is that simple.
You will now KNOW what is happening and not wonder what is happening.
All the best
Don
Author of
Return to Deutschland (True Adventure)